National Honor Society for Dance Arts
The National Honor Society for Dance Arts recognizes outstanding artistic merit, leadership, and academic achievement in students studying dance. The society fosters an appreciation for dance as a true art form and one worthy of recognition and prestige. The society works to provide the opportunity for progress in dance techniques such as jazz, lyrical, contemporary, and musical theater. Hip hop and tap may also be used. Members of the National Honor Society/STA Dance Company are highly active performers at school events and state dance competitions.
Eligibility for scholarships for the future study and performance of dance is also a positive outcome for inductees of the National Honor Society for Dance Arts.
Moderator: Ms. Maria Virginio
Grades Eligible: 9-12
Qualifications for Induction*:
- Member of the STA Dance Company through Senior Year
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher for overall studies in all subjects
- Earns 30 points by participating in STA Dance Company rehearsals, performances, and service opportunities. (1-3 points per hour)
- Must be up to date with school service hour requirements
*Those students that meet the requirements will be invited to apply.
A one-time membership fee of $25 will be assessed before induction (to be taken once from yearly STA Dance Company dues).
*To sustain membership, students must meet all requirements each year as listed above.
- 1st place, Regional Champions, and High Score awards for Teen and Senior Small groups for Jazz, Contemporary, and Lyrical at Imagine Dance Challenge and Believe National Talent Competition.
- Outstanding Choreography award for Miss Virginio for "Perfect" Teen Small Group Contemporary dance at Imagine Dance Challenge.
- Outstanding Entertainment award for "Bye, Bye Blackbird" Senior Small Group Jazz dance at Imagine Dance Challenge.
- 8 Golden Tickets for World Dance Championships at both Imagine Dance Challenge and Believe National Talent Competition.